FAQ For Parents

Are freshmen required to live on campus?

New Mexico State University does not have a live-on requirement for any of its students. Campus living is strongly encouraged, however, especially for first-time students, as the residential experience is designed to foster personal growth and development, which will complement a student’s academic endeavors. In fact, national studies have shown that students who live on campus do better academically, are more likely to stay in school and complete their degree program in a timely manner, and report a higher rate of satisfaction with their overall collegiate experience. Opportunities to meet other students and become involved in the campus community abound while living on campus. In addition, it is convenient, economical and safe. It offers a myriad of support services to assist students in their transition from high school and living at home, to college and being on their own. And, when combined with a meal plan, it offers a convenient, nutritious, stable offering of meals and snacks throughout the semester. A nice advantage for the student which is also good peace-of-mind for the parents.

I am concerned about my son/daughter living on a coed floor. What is it like on a coed floor?

All of our facilities house both genders. Men and women may live next door to each other, down the hall, or across the patio. Suite assignments, however, (shared bathrooms) are always gender-specific.

What about parties and alcohol in the Residence Halls?

Partying in the residence halls is kept to an absolute minimum by supervisory staff. We have a strict alcohol policy in place and expect students to adhere to it.

How noisy is it?

The primary reason students attend NMSU is to pursue an education. As such, we strive to make our residence hall environments conducive to study and other academic endeavors. In all areas, the right to quiet supersedes the right to make noise. We do realize, however, that noise is a healthy sign of social interaction in a community living environment. Because of this, our staff sometimes find themselves in a precarious position – how much noise is too much? Generally, more noise is tolerated during the day, less noise is expected during the evening and nighttime hours. In addition, quiet hours may be designated by hall councils to assist in providing more specific parameters. Finally, we encourage our residents to take responsibility for their own living area and address issues as they arise. This is one of the most effective means of maintaining community standards.

Should my son/daughter purchase renter’s insurance coverage?

Yes, your son/daughter should purchase insurance coverage. The University does not carry insurance to protect possessions brought in by students and does not assume obligation or liability for lost, stolen, or damaged items of personal property under any circumstances. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange insurance for such personal possessions. (Often a parent’s policy can be extended to cover the student’s belongings while they’re away at college).  For more information on property insurance can be found at here.

Who cleans the rooms?

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms as well as the connecting suite bathroom. Students are expected to work out an equitable cleaning schedule with roommates and suitemates. In community bath areas, custodial staff clean and maintain the bathrooms. Custodial staff also clean the corridors, stairwells, lounges, lobbies and laundry rooms on a daily basis. A cooperative effort between the residents and the staff helps to make our residential facilities comfortable environments.

What if my student and his/her roommate don’t get along?

Living with another person, whether it’s someone your son or daughter already knows or someone who’s new, can be stressful. The most important factors in creating a good roommate relationship are courtesy, communication and compromise. We encourage students to talk to their roommate early on about what is expected from the campus living experience. Sharing thoughts on things like quiet time for study and sleep, borrowing belongings, and guests are all useful. The Department of Housing and Residential Life helps facilitate negotiation and compromise in certain areas. Community Assistants are also available 24/7 to help your student with roommate concerns or problems.

Can my son or daughter get a single room?

Single occupancy may be available if we have excess space in the living areas. The application form itself asks whether you’d like double occupancy or single occupancy or even triple occupancy. Remember, though, that single occupancy is more expensive (60% more than double under our current rate structure). If the request for single occupancy is due to a medical condition or accommodation, please contact the Housing Office directly for additional information.

Can financial aid be used to cover housing?

Potentially. The University directly applies financial aid awards to the student account. Tuition is the first fee to be covered. If there is aid “left over” after tuition has been paid, it will then be credited to other charges, such as housing and dining. As a practice, the promise of financial aid cannot be substituted for the application fee and prepayment amounts. These are due separately, up front, at the time of application. (If you have a financial hardship with no other means of paying the upfront fees, please contact the Housing Office to request a deferment.) Rent and meal plan charges are then due each semester.

What does it cost to apply for housing?

The current cost is $230. This fee includes a non-refundable application fee of $15 for housing and $15 for dining plus a $200 deposit on housing rental charges. The prepayment is then applied toward charges once all obligations under the license agreement have been fulfilled, or the student may opt to keep their prepayment on account to reapply for services for the next academic year. Some, or all, of the prepayment may be forfeited in the event a license agreement is cancelled prior to the start of service.

When do we pay for the rest of the housing charges?

Housing charges are loaded directly to your son or daughter’s student account. There are several payment options available through the University. Of course, a lump sum payment of all charges at the beginning of the semester is always acceptable. In some cases, financial aid funds may cover all housing charges at the beginning of the term. Any balance left on the account after school has started will automatically be set up on a payment plan. The balance will be divided into four equal payments. These payments are due the middle of each month throughout the semester. Students must be current on their payments, or have a clear account, prior to being allowed to register for the next semester.

Are there specific “freshman” halls?

All residence halls are open to any classification of student. While many first-year students request to live in Garcia Hall or Piñón Hall, these facilities are also open to returning students. Each of our residence halls has something special to offer residents. These special offerings are the result of partnerships with different academic areas. These partnerships offer very intentional academic support for residential students in the form of living/learning communities.

Are there Internet connections in the rooms?

High speed data connectivity is part of the rental package. Direct connections are available in Garcia Hall , Piñón Hall and Rhodes Garrett Hamiel Hall. Your student’s computer must have an Ethernet card and you will need a cat5 Ethernet cable. Technical support is available on-site once you arrive at NMSU to help with computer set-up and Ethernet connectivity.  If your student has questions regarding internet connectivity, they can contact our ICT department directly at 575-646-1840.

What about cable TV?

A cable TV connection is also part of the rental package. Enhanced basic cable is provided in all residence hall rooms, university apartments and family housing units. Premium service packages are available by subscription if desired. Residents will need to supply their own TV.

Are freshmen allowed to have cars?

Yes. Any student may bring a vehicle to campus. Vehicles parked in a residential parking area are required to display a current NMSU parking permit. Students who live in campus housing may park in the lots immediately adjacent to their living area. More information about parking permits can be found here.