Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are Freshman required to live on campus?

New Mexico State University does not have a live-on requirement for any of its students. Campus living is strongly encouraged, however, especially for first-time students, as the residential experience is designed to foster personal growth and development, which will complement a student’s academic endeavors. In fact, national studies have shown that students who live on campus do better academically, are more likely to stay in school and complete their degree program in a timely manner, and report a higher rate of satisfaction with their overall collegiate experience. Opportunities to meet other students and become involved in the campus community abound while living on campus. In addition, it is convenient, economical and safe. It offers a myriad of support services to assist students in their transition from high school and living at home, to college and being on their own. And, when combined with a meal plan, it offers a convenient, nutritious, stable offering of meals and snacks throughout the semester. A nice advantage for the student which is also good peace-of-mind for the parents.

Q: Do you have to be admitted to New Mexico State University in order to apply for housing?

Yes. An Aggie ID# is required as part of the housing application process. That ID is assigned as part of the admissions process. “Apply Online” is only available to students who have activated their “myNMSU” account.

Q: What is the deadline to apply for housing?

There is no specific deadline. Because housing assignments are made on a date-priority basis, early application is encouraged. Most students apply one regular semester in advance of their anticipated move-in date.

Q: How do I apply for housing?

Simply fill out the online application form available via MyHousing.

Q: What does it cost to apply for housing?

The current cost is $230. This fee includes a non-refundable application fee of $15 for housing and $15 for dining plus a $200 prepayment on housing rental charges. The prepayment is then returned to the student account once occupancy is verified for the fall term (approximately three weeks after move-in). Some, or all, of the prepayment may be forfeited in the event a license agreement is cancelled prior to the start of service.

Q: What does it cost for housing and dining?

Current rates may be found here. Housing and dining charges are loaded onto the student account. These charges are then due and payable as designated by the University through the Schedule of Classes.

Q: Can my financial aid be used to cover housing and dining?

Potentially. The University directly applies financial aid awards to the student account. Tuition is the first fee to be covered. If there is aid “left over” after tuition has been paid, it will then be credited to other charges, such as housing and dining. The promise of financial aid cannot be substituted for the application fee and prepayment amounts. These are due separately, up front, at the time of application. Rent and meal plan charges are then due each semester.

Q: Will I get in-state tuition for housing?

All housing rates are the same for in-state and out-of-state students.

Q: Will my friend and I be able to live together?

Yes. As long as the request is a mutual one. The request must be listed on both applications along with full name and social security number. Of course, both of you need to have applied to live on campus with us, and your preferences should match (i.e., you’ve both requested the same hall, your smoking preference matches, you are both the same gender, etc.). We must receive both applications in a timely manner. We encourage you to check with your desired roommate or suite mate to make sure that he/she has also applied.

Q: Do I have to request a specific individual, or can I ask for someone in my major?

Roommate or suite mate requests must be for specific individuals. You may, however, request to live in a Living Learning Community on campus where you will be placed on a floor with students in the same college or with similar interests.

Q: What if I don’t know someone but I’d like to have a roommate?

There are two ways to obtain a roommate: 1) By mutual request; 2) We will match a roommate for you.
1) By mutual request, you and another person may request to be roommates as part of your Application for Housing. You may make this request at any time by accessing your MyHousing account. Just remember, you need to request your desired roommate AND they need to request you for the match to be official. Once you have both requested each other, your myHousing roommate status will say “matched”.
2) If you do not make a request, we will assign a roommate for you. Many colleges use long lists of questions and personality traits to help identify possible roommates, others simply make assignment without regard for preferences. National research indicates that both of these methods are equally successful.
Through experience, we have found that by asking our residents to answer a few questions, we can avoid most roommate conflicts. Unless you are part of a Living Learning Community, the Department of Housing and Campus Life will determine your roommate assignment on several basic factors: gender, age, hall preference, smoking/non-smoking and room temperature preferences. We find that paying attention to these particular preferences prevents most roommate concerns.

Q: What if my roommate and I don’t get along?

Living with another person, whether it’s someone you already know or someone who’s new to you, can be stressful. The most important factors in creating a good roommate relationship are courtesy, communication and compromise. Remember to talk to your roommate early on about who you are and what you expect out of your campus living experience. Share thoughts you have on things like quiet time for study and sleep, borrowing belongings, and guests. Be prepared to negotiate and compromise in certain areas. And don’t hesitate to enlist the help of your R.A. if you find that you and your roommate are having difficulties. For more information about roommates please click here.

Q: Will I be able to contact my roommate before check in?

To help you break the ice, we send the following information to assigned roommates prior to move-in day: name, home address, and home phone number.

Q: Can I get a room by myself?

Yes, the application form itself asks whether you’d like double occupancy or single occupancy. Remember, though, that single occupancy is more expensive (60% more than double under our current rate structure). Single occupancy rooms are assigned on a space-available basis only. For more information on rates please click here.

Q: Are there specific “freshman” halls?

No, all four residence halls accept freshmen students. Freshmen may not apply for campus apartments until they have completed two regular semesters of college or have attained sophomore standing.

Q: How does “co-ed” housing work?

All of our facilities house both genders. Men and women may live next door to each other; however, suite (i.e. bathroom) assignments are always gender-specific.

Q: I’m an incoming freshman (or transfer student) but I’m married or have a child. Can I still live on-campus?

Yes! Our Family Housing Neighborhoods accommodate students in a wide-variety of family relationships. Click here to find out more.

Q: What about my dog or cat?

Due to the need for tight controls in the areas of health and sanitation, and a concern for the welfare of animals, pets are not allowed in residence halls. This rule applies to both residents and visitors. (Small fish aquariums are okay.) Students who live in Student Family Housing may have an approved pet on campus.

Q: When can I move in? Can I move in early?

Campus housing opens Sunday, August 19th, 2012.  To check in, simply go to the front desk of your assigned residential community on Move-In day. Staff members on duty will complete the assignment process, issue you a room key (and an outside door key where applicable) as well as answer any questions that you may have. The check-in period officially begins at 8:00 a.m. on Move-In day and ends at 5:00 p.m. on the first day of classes. If you will be arriving after this time, please call the Housing and Residential Life Office or the front desk of your hall. This will ensure that a room is saved for you until you arrive. Early arrivals are not allowed unless you are required to be on campus for an officially sponsored university event.

Q: Are there Internet connections in the rooms?

High speed data connectivity is part of the rental package. Direct connections are available in Pinon, RGH, and Garcia Hall. Your computer must have an Ethernet card and you will need a cat5 Ethernet cable. Technical support is available on-site once you arrive at NMSU to help with computer set-up and Ethernet connectivity.

Q: What about cable TV?

Cable TV is also part of the rental package. Enhanced basic cable is provided in all residence hall rooms, university apartments and family housing units. Premium service packages are available by subscription if desired.

Q: Are freshmen allowed to have cars?

Yes. Any student may bring a vehicle to campus. Vehicles parked in a residential parking area are required to display a current NMSU parking permit. Students who live in campus housing may park in the lots immediately adjacent to their living area.

Q: What if I decide I want to move out?

The term of occupancy is for the full academic year. Resident students are expected to fulfill this obligation. If you experience an extreme situation which necessitates a change, contact the main Housing Office to obtain a copy of your termination policy.

Q: How safe is it at New Mexico State University?

New Mexico State University compares very favorably to similar-sized campuses across the country. Students who live on campus, as well as those who come for classes and/or employment should be advised to exercise normal precautionary measures, such as locking their vehicle, walking in well-lit areas, not walking alone at night, etc. A booklet is available from the University Police Department that speaks more specifically to safety and security in general as well as providing statistics as required by federal law.

Q: What is a CA?

A Community Assistant is a student who has been specifically selected and trained to work with other students. CAs serve as role models by being: team members, community builders, crisis managers, administrators, counselors, and educators. CAs are upper-class students who have lived in residence halls and are here to help residents feel at home. CAs are a great resource and can assist with roommate conflicts, hall conflicts and academic concerns. Plus, they are there when a student just wants to talk or grab a bite to eat. In addition, CAs sponsor educational and social programs that enable students to learn new things and meet other people on their floor.

Q: What is an RD?

Resident Directors are a full-time, professional live-in staff. Each Resident Director is responsible for a specific hall or area on campus and supervising the Community Assistants (CAs) within their specific area. Resident Director’s provide support services to students, oversee operational and social activities and adjudicate student discipline cases.

Q: How will I get my mail on-campus?

Each person has their own mailbox located in the North Campus Area Office at Garcia Hall. Mail is delivered Monday through Saturday, with the exception of holidays. You may receive mail at your hall by using an address like this example: Your Name, Box#, North Campus Housing, Las Cruces, NM, 88003. To send mail, drop your stamped correspondence in the outgoing mail slot at Garcia Hall. Packages and other special delivery items are also accepted at front desk of Garcia Hall. Whether it’s a package from UPS or Federal Express, or a flower bouquet for a special occasion, desk personnel will make every effort to get special delivery items to the student the same day they are received.  If you don’t know your mailbox number, please visit the North Campus Operation Center located in the lobby of Garcia Hall.