RoomSync is our roommate matching software that empowers you, our residents, to choose your own roommates using Facebook. RoomSync offers the latest and greatest in roommate matching technology, giving residents a greater sense of responsibility in the housing process with the ultimate goal of increasing roommate compatibility.
You can create and log into your RoomSync account via Facebook and search for roommate matches or just get to know the students that will be living in your residential community.
Frequently Asked Questions
RoomSync is available to new students who have applied for a residence hall space (Pinon, Garcia, and Rhodes Garrett Hamiel) or an apartment space (Chamisa Village, Vista del Monte and Cervantes Village). The RoomSync groups for students are open from March 1 through June 1.
After a student applies for housing and is assigned to a residential community, an email will be sent to your NMSU email account 1) to let you know the residential community you have been assigned to; and 2) containing a link to join the RoomSync group for your residential community.
After you click the link sent to your NMSU email account, you will be taken to the RoomSync application page.
- If you are not already logged into Facebook, enter the email address associated with your Facebook account.
- Click the blue Go To App button.
- Click the blue Allow button (allowing the application to access your contact information).
- Enter your Lifestyle Preferences and Ideal Roommate Information and click the blue Next button at the bottom of the page.
- Select your Major and click the blue Next button.
- Optional: Select an Living Learning or Theme Community under the Housing drop down section
- Enter information about yourself and your ideal roommate.
- Follow prompts. When you get to the final page, click the blue Find a Roommate button and start searching!!
You may be prompted for a five digit RoomSync code. You can find this code by logging into your MyHousing account.
After you find your roommate on RoomSync and match, you will receive a series of emails confirming your match and also containing further instructions. It is important to note that you must log back into your myhousing account to make your roommate request official with the Housing Office.
To make your roommate request official, login to your myhousing account using your myNMSU username and password. Click on ROOMMATE SELECTION in the left sidebar. Enter as much of your prospective roommates information as possible and click REQUEST STUDENT AS ROOMMATE. You may request up to three roommates individually by following these steps for each request.
All roommate requests must be mutual. The Matching Request box in the EXISTING ROOMMATE REQUEST section of myHousing will indicate DOES NOT MATCH until your requested roommate also selects you through their myHousing account. Once a mutual request is completed, the Matching Request box message will change to YES. The Housing Office will pick up matched roommate groups on a regular basis for room assignment.
If you have any questions, please contact the Housing & Residential Life main office at 575-646-3202 or via email at email@example.com.
There are a couple ways you can sign up for RoomSync:
- Click the join link sent to your NMSU email account
- Click on the RoomSync logo on our NMSU Housing Facebook Page . Note, this will require a special access code that you may get by logging into your MyHousing account or by contacting the Housing & Residential Life Office at 575.646.3202 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not have to use RoomSync if you dont want to or if you dont have a Facebook page. There are several options when it comes to roommate matching:
- If you already know who you want your roommate to be, you can bypass the RoomSync application and go directly to your myHousing account to make your roommate request official (see To make your roommate request official in Question #5).
- If you would like the Housing & Residential Life Office to automatically match you with a roommate, you don’t need to do anything. We will automatically match you based on your sex, age and smoking preference. Once an assignment is made, you can find your roommates name and contact information on the overview page of your MyHousing account so you may contact them to coordinate move-in.
- Or you can use RoomSync as detailed above.