Your room at Garcia Hall, Piñon Hall or Rhodes-Garrett-Hamiel provides all the basic furniture you will need. If you find you need something that you did not bring, you can always obtain it once you are in Las Cruces.
- Alarm Clock
- Bedding/Linens sizes are Twin Extra Long
- Sheets: Sizes are Twin Extra Long 35″ x 80″
- Make sure to bring your Pillow(s)
- Cables to connect your computer as well as a TV cable
- Cell Phone (land lines are no longer provided)
- Iron/Mini Ironing Board
- Laundry Basket and Detergent
- Power Strip (multi-outlet with built in surge-protector)
- Toiletries (and something to carry them to the shower in RGH community bath)
- Trash can (recycling bins are provided in the residence halls)
- Bicycle (if desired) with durable lock
- Microwave (check with roommate to avoid duplication)
- Mini-refrigerator (not to exceed six (6) cubic feet in size)
- Pots & Pans (if your residence hall has a kitchen)
- Rug (Garcia, RGH and Piñon Halls are all carpeted)
- Quarters for Laundry (or use Aggie Cash)
- Television/DVD player/Entertainment or Gaming Systems
- Additional Wireless device (tablet, Nook, etc.)
- Alcohol & Drugs (All NMSU Residence Halls are dry buildings regardless of age)
- Air Conditioners
- Burners or Hot Plates, Kitchen Grills
- Candles or Incense
- Ceiling Fans/Lights
- Electric Heaters
- Extension Cords
- Fireworks, Explosives, Unsafe Chemicals
- Halogen Lamps!!! (any model or style)
- Pets (other than fish–10 gallon tank limit) (animals for disabilities should be registered with Student Accessibility Services)
- Weapons or Toy Weapons (BB Guns, Nerf Guns, Hunter Bows or Large Knives)
Before you move in, we will provide you with the name of your assigned roommate so you can coordinate who is bringing what (things like a microwave, TV, or mini-fridge). Remember you can buy most anything you forget in Las Cruces and may want to wait until you’re here to buy things like cleaning supplies or food. The beginning of the year is a busy time, so be sure to bring the necessities.
On Move-In Day, University volunteers will be available to help carry your stuff to your room. We encourage all residents to carry some sort of personal property or renter’s insurance. Sometimes this may be as simple as contacting the company that carries your parents’ home owners insurance to see if items are covered while you’re away at school.
All freshmen residence hall students are required to purchase a Meal Plan, and we strongly encourage other residents to do so, as well. Regardless of Meal Plan participation, many students find it convenient to do some light food preparation in their residence hall room.
Appliances that are allowed include:
- Crock Pot (slow cooker)
- Coffee Pot
- Hot Pot
- Microwave Oven
- Refrigerator (not to exceed six (6) cubic feet in size)
As a general rule, appliances with open heating elements are prohibited:
- Hot plates
- Toaster ovens
- George Foreman grills
- Electric skillets
Should you so desire, you may take advantage of the kitchen facilities available for checkout through the front desk.
There are limited common-use kitchen facilities in each residence hall. Keys to these may be checked out through the front desk. Each kitchen is equipped with a stove and sink. Some kitchens also feature a small refrigerator. Should you wish to prepare a meal, bake cookies for a friend, or make a birthday cake for your roommate, your hall’s kitchen is the place to do it. You are responsible for leaving the kitchen clean! View our Kitchen Safety Tips.