NMSU Housing and Residential Life is committed to the safety and security of all our residents. In partnership with our residents, we actively practice and promote a variety of safety measures such as:
- The exterior doors of all our residence halls are locked. Only residents and their escorted guests have access. We strongly encourage our residents to maintain building security by keeping exterior doors closed at all times. Exterior and interior doors require separate keys so that the loss of a single key will not compromise the security of a residents room.
- NMSU uses the Schlage Primus Lock System in our residence halls, ensuring that keys to residence hall locks can not be copied. If a resident’s key is lost or stolen, the lock is changed and new keys are issued as soon as possible.
- Trained professional and student housing staff live in our residence halls and communities. Housing staff are available 24 hours/day and conduct rounds throughout our residential communities. Additionally, NMSU Police Officers patrol the campus and our residential communities regularly.
- NMSU has its own fire department. Under the supervision of the NMSU Fire and Emergency Services Department, fire drills are conducted periodically so that residents become familiar with building evacuation procedures.
- All student family housing units and apartments are equipped with smoke detectors. Additionally, carbon monoxide detectors have been installed in units that use natural gas to further protect our residents and their families.
- Furniture in the residence halls provide a lockable drawer so that residents may secure their valuable possessions. Shared apartments feature bedrooms with individually locked doors.
- We strive to provide our students with information and resources to make safe decisions. Our student and professional staff work to educate our residents about safe behavior and the campus provides resources for students such as the Pete’s Pickup and the Crimson Cab, providing security escorts and transportation around the campus and the community.
Need a Safe Escort to your car or dorm?
Whether you’ve been studying late at the library, had a late extracurricular meeting, or if you’re out late on campus for any other reason, you can always call Pete’s Pick Up for a safe escort to your car or dorm. Just call 646-1111 and within minutes a driver will be there to safely pick you up.
Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday
Need a FREE Taxi Ride Home?
Crimson Cab is one of ASNMSU’s most popular and favorite Services among students. Crimson Cab is a program offered here at NMSU to ensure the safety of our students by offering a safe ride. With your NMSU Student ID, Crimson Cab will take you and your friends anywhere within the Las Cruces City Limits.
Hours of Operation:
Every Day – 7:00pm – 5:00am
Call 575-524-TAXI (8294)