A student may move out of campus housing at any time. Moving out is not the same as being released from the housing agreement. The purpose of this form is to officially request release from the housing agreement, including financial obligations associated with that agreement. Approved requests will be processed as per the refund schedule found in the housing agreement. Requests for termination will be reviewed individually and shall be considered in accordance with the Housing and Residential Life housing agreement. If approved for termination, you will be required to check out as outlined below.
- If termination is immediate, check-out must occur within 48 hours of approval. If termination is effective at the end of the fall term, check-out must occur within 48 hours of your last final exam or academic commitment.
- Visit the Service Desk for your area (located in Garcia Hall lobby, Chamisa Village Clubhouse, or in the South Campus office on Center Drive) in order to obtain an Express Check-Out envelope. You will need to present an email from email@example.com that confirms you are approved to check-out.
- Remove all belongings from the room/apartment. Thoroughly clean the room/apartment, including all commonly shared spaces.
- Before leaving, turn your Express Check-Out envelope, with keys inside, in to the appropriate Service Desk.
- In the case of formal withdrawal from the University, contact to the main Housing Office (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) by phone 575-646-3202 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org after your check-out to complete the withdrawal process.
- Note: Failure to check out properly will result in the assessment of a financial penalty. Rental charges continue until formal check-out has occurred. (In some cases, full rental charges may still be assessed).
- It is your responsibility to check with the ID Card Services office to confirm the status of your meal plan. Termination of your housing agreement does not indicate termination of your meal plan agreement.
- By submitting this Petition to Terminate you are indicating that you have read the instructions noted above.
A decision on whether you are approved or denied will be emailed to your NMSU email account. Attach any documents that you wish to be reviewed as part of your request.
Please do not make other arrangements until you have received a decision from Housing and Residential Life.
To submit your request to terminate your housing agreement, click button below.